Vita Lane • illustration


A former train station, a tradeshow, an e-course and a funeral : My crazy life

Things around here have been a little nutty for the past month or so...maybe more. My partner-in-crime, Jimmy Thunder, and I found the sweetest little home in the next town over, and decided it was time to move in together - hooray! It is a 200 year old little farm house, that used to be a train station, and sits directly next to a railroad track, that yes, is still in use. (The train that runs by is a freight train, is very small and extremely slow, and has no set schedule. We've noticed that it comes by about once or twice a week. No big deal at all.)

See, I told you it was next to a railroad track. But how freaking adorable is it? C'mon!

For the first time in my adult life, I have a little yard, very few neighbors, and am surrounded by pastures full of horses, cows and chickens. It is lovely. The move was tough and stressful (I had lived in my condo for 8 years, and holy moly it's easy to accumulate a lot of stuff) - not only on me but also on Sam the dog, who had only ever lived in my condo his whole life, and suddenly is faced with a brand new place. The result: doggie diarrhea for a week. It's finally getting better. My poor boy is very sensitive.

To add to the stress level of moving, my remaining grandmother passed away the day before I moved. I won't get into it too much, but it was expected and wanted, as she was very very ill and in a lot of pain. I'm so glad she's found peace finally. I lost my other grandmother earlier this year in January and now am without any grandparents at all. It's sad and strange not to have them around anymore, but I am so grateful to have had 3 of them in my life well into my 30's. And I've learned that I'm going to live forever - all 3 of them reached their 90's. Yowzers. I miss them a lot.

So to continue on with my tale, ONE WEEK after moving into this sweet little house, we left for Surtex. Yes, that's right - I moved a week before the major tradeshow of the year.... I must have lost my mind. For the first time Jimmy Thunder (JT) came with me, and helped me out at my booth. I am so glad he was there - for emotional support, for physical support (he's nice and tall) and for his great sense of humor and enthusiasm. What a sweetie.

Why am I looking off to the left? I don't know. At least JT looks great. He was a champ that week.

Plus I could go to the ladies room whenever I needed and not worry about leaving my booth. Let me tell you, that feeling is wonderful.

Surtex was great this year, but I feel like I say that every year. I was busy busy Sunday and Monday, and pretty dead on Tuesday. That seems to be the norm in my experience, but I've heard others say the opposite, with Tuesday being their busiest. Thats just the how the game goes. I was in booth 435 this year - an inline 10x10, 2nd row from the left of the show, sort of near the front/middle. I liked the location a lot - traffic flow was good. I've learned to take what I can from Surtex, expect nothing, smile and chat the whole time, catch up with clients, potential clients, and other artist friends, and enjoy myself. I try to not put too much pressure on myself, but that's easier said than done. 

Now that I'm back home, follow-up has begun (as well as a lot of unpacking from the move.... the house is looking better and no longer resembles an episode of Hoarders, though we are far from done.) I want to finish up the follow-up as soon as I can because this upcoming Monday, I am going BACK TO SCHOOL!

Lilla Roger's brand new e-course, Make Art That Sells begins on Monday, and I am so excited to go along for this crazy ride! I've been feeling for awhile now that my artwork has become stagnant and I'm hoping that this course will be the giant kick in the butt that I so desperately need. I want to PLAY with my art, EXPLORE new and old mediums, GET OUT of my own head and get out of my own way, and just LEARN, soak up all the visuals and tips and life lessons that come my way, and hopefully at the end of this summer (and the end of this fall, with the 2nd part of the course) I will come out the other side a better version of ME. I'm excited and nervous, a little bit anxious, and a lot bit hopeful. BRING IT ON. Wait, I need to clean my studio a little bit more this weekend before beginning. Thankfully I have a couple days to go. Phew.

I'll be posting here on my blog my adventures in this class - come along for the journey!